Pages

Sunday, June 30, 2013

LISBON | LER DEVAGAR

In my last post I mentioned how my favourite stop at Lx Factory was, unsurprisingly, a bookshop. I had actually heard about Ler Devagar from friends and magazines (as well as a few "Most Beautiful Bookshops" type of lists around the internet) but I had no idea I would find it at Lx Factory, and I almost passed it by unnoticed until my mum pointed to the door and said, "I have a feeling you'll like this."
This beautiful bookshop seems to have kept most of its building's original factory-like structure, uneven mezzanine and all, and its walls are lined with floor-to-ceiling shelves filled with books of a vast variety of themes and genres.
Although most of the books are portuguese editions, you can also find a few others in different languages - particularly textbooks. The photo above shows a detail of a display table dedicated to used books, which I greatly appreciate in independent bookshops.
Besides selling books, this store includes two cafés: one downstairs and another upstairs, in the aforementioned mezzanine. I remember going into Borders every morning whenever we visited New York to start the day with breakfast at the coffeeshop upstairs while browsing for books. Then of course Borders closed down, but there is something terribly satisfying about having coffee or a snack surrounded by books, and I was happy to see that Ler Devagar follows this philosophy.
I am not sure what the meaning of the bicycle decoration hanging above the shop means, but it adds a great touch to the place. Even if you forget the name of the bookshop, you can always remember it by "the one with the flying cyclist."
I will admit that I walked away empty-handed, but I look forward to another visit to Ler Devagar. Hopefuly next time I'll be joined by some of my friends/enablers.
Have you been here yet? Let me know what are some of your favourite independent bookshops.

Ler Devagar
Lx Factory
Rua Rodrigues da Silva, 103, G0.3
1300 - 501 Lisboa

1 comment:

  1. Nunca tinha ouvido falar da Ler Devagar, mas agora quando me mudar para Lisboa, por causa da universidade, vou visitá-la. Eu sou uma devoradora de livros, por isso parece-me que vou perder muito tempo a percorrer o espaço.

    ReplyDelete